A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown
Any day spent sewing, is a good day. ~Author Unknown
I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ~Author Unknown

Friday, January 28, 2011

What have I done with my heart?

Ahhh, thought that would catch your attention!

The heart patterns I've showed you in my previous post have proven very useful for making my heart shaped picture frames/Valentines/decorations for any occasion. HELP, I'm addicted. I honestly can't stop making them, look:



NOTE: the round picture frame above (with my photo in it) was made with a recycled shower curtain ring, so when I run out of heart bracelets, I can use those...


These are some of them (yes, I have more) from the front view. All they need is some embellishments, i.e. ribbon, beads, buttons and a hanger OR you can attach a magnet to the back and make them stick to the refrigerator. I still have a bunch of plastic child bangle bracelets in the shape of hearts to use up. I got them at the Dollar General Store. They were in the Party Favor section and cost $1.50 for a pack of 12.

And that's a view of them from the back side. That's where I crocheted the hearts and sewed them to the backside of the frame to keep the photo or note in place, but they look great without anything in them.




You see now why I'm so addicted to making these? Here are some reasons why, because:

1) It's the perfect project for using up scraps and the specialty yarns look great for the outside edging.

2) I love playing with color and it gives me an opportunity to switch colors and try different schemes.

3) They don't take very long to make, so you can sell them for cheap (if that's what you want)

4) Working with heart shapes makes me happy - it's just an all-around "happy" project!

Also, these are not restricted to Valentine's Day, but could be used for any occasion, either for hanging or sticking on to the fridge.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's fun! What are you planning to do with them?

Unknown said...

Wow what fun and so full of love... thanks for sharing these wonderful fun Valentines day hearts with us ;)
Hugs to you and Gizzy :)
M

Ann said...

WOW, that's a lot of hearts. You've got such a variety there, they're all so pretty

Doris Sturm said...

Jennifer, I will try to sell them on Etsy and my local Pharmacy (that has a gift shop) and a small consignment/coffee shop in town.

I'm on disability and am constantly trying to augment my income (very unsuccessfully, I might ad) and I will also give some away to a couple of my neighbors and friends.

CJ said...

Doris ~
Thanks for this fun and cheery post!! The hearts are so bright and colorful ~ makes me "happy" just looking at them! :)
I've been sewing with bright Valentine colors too - something about it just makes you feel good, doesn't it?
Thanks again for sharing your project with us and especially the links!!
Hugz,
CJ♥♥

Amy (Blighty Boutique) said...

they're lovely x

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I think they look great! Fun idea to use the heart bracelets. I like the ones with the fun fur.

Doris Sturm said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, they are all super-duper lovely!

karisma said...

Very very pretty. What a lovely idea!

Photography said...

Wow they are just lovely I really "heart" the pink and green one!

happeningswithLana said...

Very cute!