A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown
Any day spent sewing, is a good day. ~Author Unknown
I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ~Author Unknown

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hand Turkey

Ladies fall is fast approaching and I'm ready to make decorations. Yes, San Antonio has been over 100, but fall is coming despite the temps. While welcoming this new school year in I had to start thinking about MOPS (Mother's Of PreSchoolers) craft ideas. One common complaint about MOPS crafts is that they aren't something the mom is really going to use nor does she want. Like last year we had a choice of making a tote or apron (putting paint and iron on patches on pre-made ones) and I believe ALL the moms made them for their kids. So if I'm doing the crafts this year I'm hoping to make them something the moms might really like. With that in mind I traced my daughter's hand and made a fabric hand print turkey.

I used the blanket stitch around all the pieces and a small zig-zag stitch for the legs. I couldn't find my masking tape so I hot glued the fabric to the backside of the glass; hence the glass glare on the bottom right.

Seeing how the MOPS moms really don't come to the meetings to sew theirs wouldn't be as cute. I would have to give them fabric paints to use around the edges. Sadly once it was all done our MOPS coordinator was bucking the idea. She pointed out that many moms have more then one child. I told her they asked for gift ideas and for things they could give away. I said they could pick a child to do this one of, then go home and cheaply make them of their other children's hands. Send them to the grandmas, they will love them. We'll see...

Now I will forever have a Thanksgiving decor of my three and a half year old's hand.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I for one think this is a fabulous idea.. way to go. Your right a sweet little hand print to keep for ever. I know I would treasure something like this. Thank you for sharing this wonderful fun idea with us,
M

CJ said...

Very cute idea, Jennifer! I applaud you for trying to be the creative inspiration for your daughter's class, it's a hard job, especially if there are a lot of moms who are not so crafty inclined.
Good luck to you on the project!
Hugz,
CJ♥♥

Barb said...

Cute!!

Unknown said...

This is adorable and fun for the kids too!

Sherry said...

I Love these little turkeys! I think the kids and I are going to make some for their out of town grandparents. Great idea!

Sherry

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I like it. I wish I had hand prints of my kids through the years. A great keepsake plus the kids would love to measure their hands against it over the years.